Youth of the Month Program for the 2019-2020 School Year

September 19, 2019

Laredo Sector Border Patrol initiated the Youth of the Month Program, for the 2019-2020 school year.  The Youth of the Month ceremony was hosted by United High School on Wednesday, September 18.  Laredo Sector, along with community partners presented the 11 honorees who are all seniors from Laredo area high schools with the prestigious Youth of the Month Award.

“Today we are here to honor you and your achievements as you strive to graduate high school and move forward to earn a successful career,” said Watch Commander and 1993 United High School graduate Reymundo Enriquez, “Don’t be afraid to ask for guidance or advice from those that you look up to.  You have a bright future ahead of you and I believe that you can all be successful in whatever you choose that next level to be for you.  All things are possible if you believe in and propel yourself to get to that next level.”

The Border Patrol Youth of the Month program, in collaboration with community partners, has recognized Laredo’s top high school seniors for over 30 years.  At the end of the school year, 11 Youth of the Month recipients are considered for the prestigious Border Patrol Youth of the Year award.

The following students were chosen as the Youth of the Month for September:

United South High School                                                                    Christopher M. Garza
Staggs Academy of International and STEM Studies                          Sydney Perkins
St. Augustine High School                                                                    Gustavo I. Alcantar
R&T Martin High School                                                                    Alexis Carrillo
Lyndon B. Johnson High School                                                          Kayla G. Martinez
Dr. Leonides G. Cigarroa High School                                                 Zoe Hannah Landa
J.W. Nixon High School                                                                          Zoe Miranda Alvarez
John B. Alexander High School                                                             Mia Fuentes
Hector J. Garcia Early College High School                                      Victor Delgado
Harmony School of Excellence                                                              Abraham Martinez
United High School                                                                              Scarlett Belle Garcia

Cutline: Back Row LtR: Casey Adams, Assistant Chief Patrol Agent; Reymundo Enriquez, Watch Commander; Christopher M. Garza, United South High School; Alexis Carrillo, R&T Martin High School; Abraham Martinez, Harmony School of Excellence; Victor Delgado, Hector J. Garcia Early College High School; Gustavo I. Alcantar, St. Augustine High School; Edgar Martinez, Border Patrol Agent; Isaac Compean, Border Patrol Agent

Front Row LtR: Kayla G. Martinez, Lyndon B. Johnson High School; Scarlett Belle Garcia, United High School; Sydney Perkins, Staggs Academy of International and STEM Studies; Mia Fuentes, John B. Alexander High School; Zoe Miranda Alvarez, J.W. Nixon High School; Zoe Hannah Landa, Dr. Leonides G. Cigarroa High School

-CBP-

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.